Bamberg - House Lange Straße 18

House called At the Golden Star rebuilt in 1687-1688 by Leonhard Dientzenhofer

The house called At the Golden Star, destroyed during the Thirty Years' War, was rebuilt by Leonhard Dientzenhofer into his own house in 1687-1688.

Detailed information

History

In 1474, a house is first mentioned on this site. In 1548 it was called "Zum Güldenen Stern". It was probably used as an inn from the end of the 15th century. A stone plaque above the entrance door with the date 1572 indicates that the building was rebuilt.

The house was destroyed during the Thirty Years' War. The house was probably acquired in 1687 by Johann Leonhard Dientzenhofer, who converted it into his own house between 1687 and 1688. The inscription LD 1688 appears on the stone plaque above the entrance.

After the death of Johann Leonhard in 1707, the Barons of Pölnitz owned the house until 1780. In 1955, the rear courtyard was demolished so that the "Camera Lichtspiele" cinema could be built in its place, which required further alterations to the front building. In 1981 the cinema was converted into an entertainment arcade.

Architecture

The representative three-storey building with a gable roof faces Lange Straße in the eaves. The ground floor is divided into three arcades, the middle of which is highlighted by pilasters and a stepped gable. The ground floor is topped with a banded cornice. The upper floors are connected by wide corner pilasters and are articulated by a banded and inverted cornice. The windows are set in openwork and chamfered frames, which are further accentuated on the first floor by window canopies.

Josef Grenz, a master carpenter, was involved in the construction.

Current

The ground floor of the house houses a restaurant and an entertainment arcade, while the upper floors are used for residential purposes.

Map of the place and surroundings Open on mapy.cz

GPS: 49.8922156N, 10.8897994E
Dům Lange Straße 18