Bamberg - House Maximiliansplatz 8
The house called At the Green Parrot was owned by Johann Dientzenhofer since 1700. The owners of the house can be traced back to 1441. It was rebuilt in the second quarter of the 18th century according to a project by Johann Dientzenhofer. It is a three-storey townhouse with a sandstone facade.
History
The house called At the Green Parrot was owned by Johann Dientzenhofer since 1700. The owners of the house can be traced back to 1441. It was rebuilt in the second quarter of the 18th century according to the project of Johann Dientzenhofer.
In 1772, the Baroque house was acquired by the princely bishop's head hunter Friedrich Karl von Schaumberg. In the 19th and 20th centuries numerous alterations were made. The large window openings date from work carried out in 1929.
In 1972 the building was connected to the neighbouring department store at Maximiliansplatz 10/12.
Architecture
It is a three-storey late Baroque townhouse with a sandstone facade.
The ground floor is divided into three arcades, the middle of which is highlighted by a portal. Here is the coat of arms of the von Schaumburg family, which was restored by Robert Bauer-Haderlein in 1957. The templates, which lean outwards, stand on high plinths and are topped by an entablature supporting an arched spring-loaded gable. The windows are set in moulded sandstone frames; the first floor windows have curved window tracery, the second floor windows have straight finials.
Above the middle window of the first floor is a relief of the Coronation of the Virgin Mary, c. 1730/40, by Johann Peter Benkert.
Current
The building currently houses commercial premises.